Explore the World of English Paper Piecing: Jewels
* Skill level: All – some hand sewing experience will be helpful.
* Class length: 3 hours
* Class available as Live or Virtual
* Virtual class is designed for instruction and project won’t be finished during class.
In Project 2, Michele will teach you how to make hearts from the jewels; and then sew the hearts together.
In Project 3, learn how to sew a center hexagon, and 18 jewels and together to make a star which can be appliquéd to a base fabric.
Please use whatever colors of 100% cotton fabric. Make sure there is contrast between the fabrics. The fabrics/colors noted in the Supply List and samples are for reference only. I recommend the paper templates from www.paperpieces.com (270-534-5475 CST).
* Please note that this is a FUN, stress free technique class so the projects will not be finished in class.
For Project 1:
– Six 1” jewel paper templates (link to paper pieces)
– 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″fabric strips (3 of color #1, 3 of color #2)
*orange dots on white and a Halloween print were used in the sample.
For Project 2:
– Eight 1” jewel paper templates (link to paper pieces)
– Three 1” 6-point diamond (60 degree) paper templates (link to paper pieces)
– 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″fabric strips (4 of color #1, 4 of color #2)
*2 different Christmas red, and green prints were used in sample
– Three 1 1/2” x 2 1/4” fabric strips (3 of color #3) *white tonal was used in sample
For Project 3:
– One 1” hexagon paper template (link to paper pieces)
– Eighteen 1” jewel paper templates (link to paper pieces)
– One 2 1/2″ fabric square *yellow check used in sample
– Eighteen 2 1/2″ x 3 1/4″fabric strips (6 each of 3 different colors)
*blue, yellow and orange were used in sample
– Hand sewing needle that is comfortable for you
– Basting thread – 1 spool of any color of 100% cotton thread
– Sewing thread – 1 spool of medium to light grey
– One water soluble fabric glue pen (no craft glue, please) (link to pen)
– Paper tape (Nexcare – purchase in a pharmacy) (Target) (Walmart) (Walgreens)
– Small sharp pair of scissors
– Small rotary cutter, 1” x 6” acrylic ruler, and small cutting mat
IF needed or desired: 3 mini clips, thimble, portable light, magnifying glass and/or bifocals.
Please contact Michele Crawford email@example.com
Comments from Michele’s students at Road to CA 2019:
* “Very patient and well prepared.”
* “This is a great teacher.”
* “Great explanation, thorough!”
* “Helpful, friendly!”
* “Very informative and encouraging.”
Comments from Michele’s students at the Houston Quilt Festival 2019:
* “Very good teacher! Kit was great!”
* “Very informative with lots of detailed information.”
* “Appropriate amount of time. Excellent use of camera for demos! Would take another class from Michele. Awesome!”
* “Great individual attention!”
* “Great class.”
* “Instructor was very patient in answering questions.”
* ‘Thank you for showing options & how to do an EPP jewel.”