Mixing English Paper Piecing Shapes: Rose Star
* Skill level: Advanced Beginner > Intermediate (for EPP)
* This class is not for EPP beginners, and those attending need to have EPP experience.
* Class length: 3 hours
* Class available as Live or Virtual
Once you get hooked on EPP, you will discover that there are MANY different shapes that are used in creating designs with fabric and
thread. Michele will teach you how to create a hexagon, kit, half kite, and a hexagon third so that when these pieces are sewn together like a puzzle, you will create a variation of a Rose Star. Michele will teach you the flatback stitch; and how to use cardstock and/or freezer paper templates. The use of Color Value to make sections of the block recede or move forward will be discussed using a short power point program for inspiration. Directions will also include how to hand applique the finished design to create a pillow top.
Please use whatever colors of 100% cotton fabric. Make sure there is contrast between the fabrics. The fabrics/colors noted in the Supply List and samples are for reference only. I recommend the paper templates from www.paperpieces.com (270-534-5475 CST) *Please note that this is a FUN, stress free technique class so the projects will not be finished in class.
– 12” Rose Star Variation 1 paper templates (1 small pack makes one block) (link to paper pieces)
– One 4 3/4″ fabric square *main floral print that all the other fabrics were coordinated with used in sample
– Twelve 2 1/2″ x 3 3/4″ fabric strips (3 of color #1, #2, #3, and #4)
*pink print, medium blue print, pink/white plaid and blue/white plaid used in sample
– Eighteen 2 1/2” fabric squares (6 of color #4, #5, and #6) *light blue print, yellow, and green/white print used in sample
– 1 5/8” x 2 3/4″ fabric strips *white tonal used in sample
– Hand sewing needle that is comfortable for you
– Basting thread – 1 spool of any color of 100% cotton thread
– Sewing thread – 1 spool of medium to light grey
– One water soluble fabric glue pen (no craft glue, please) (link to pen)
– Paper tape (Nexcare – purchase in a pharmacy) (Target) (Walmart) (Walgreens)
– Small sharp pair of scissors
– Small rotary cutter, 1” x 6” acrylic ruler, and small cutting mat
IF needed or desired: 3 mini clips, thimble, portable light, magnifying glass and/or bifocals.
Please contact Michele Crawford email@example.com
Comments from Michele’s students at Road to California 2020:
* “I learned so much.”
* “She was very thorough.”
* “I learned what I wanted to know. Able to learn a new technique (flatback stitch).”
* “Enjoyed it very much.”
* “Very good teacher – very clear + concise presentation.”